Monday, May 27, 2013

Glass Etching - by Charlotte Sherman


flower & swallow framed mirror and hummingbird

This is my favorite medium!!


Glass is so versatile…..ya, really. You can single layer etch it, or multi layer carve into it. You can paint it to look like stained glass, paint with oil, or paint with ink, all have a very different effect.
You can add gold leafing and jewels for a sophisticated antique-style look. And, my newest addition, you can chip it —- NO, I don't mean “chip” like break it, I mean glue chipping, it has the look of random fern-like designs so it is great for privacy windows. Then you can combine all or some of these to make an even more attractive, stunning piece of art.

I mostly use a diamond hand tool for all the etching I do, however for large designs a sand blaster helps save my hand. I DO NOT use store bought stencils, which means I draw my own designs then cut my own stencil, if needed.

I also don't use chemicals or lasers, everything I do is by hand!! So no two are exactly alike.
Usually I will have hummingbird or flower designs framed and ready to ship so check with me, otherwise I prefer custom orders. I have etched lettering and logos for store fronts, bars and restaurants and of course for homes.
framed mirror etching
Need ideas on what needs to be etched in your home? ok….your bathroom mirror, shower door, bath window, kitchen window, kitchen cabinet doors, your favorite party dish, your entryway, outdoor address plaque, rear window of your vehicle, wall hat rack, sky lights…. oh, ANY GLASS SURFACE anywhere at your home or office. Well technically I can also “etch” on rock, tile, and wood. So that makes an endless list of items!!

I can also copy and replace your broken antique heirloom glass. Many Victorian home owners have real antique glass etched doors. All it takes is a strong wind or simply shutting too hard to crack and break these. What I can do is create a drawing of the design and transfer it to a new piece of tempered glass that you can have installed into the door frame.

No job is too small or large, so ask.

Thanks,
Charlotte
 
11x14 frame Etched over dark matting, opening fits 5x7 photo



 11x14 framed Etched over dark matting, opening fits 5x7 photo - this one does not have the matting behind it


Custom etch on mirror cabinet

No comments:

Post a Comment