Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix - the secrets


Charlotte & Kyle, 2012 Crystal Lodge -  Mt. Rainer
When we first found out that my son and I could not eat Wheat or Gluten (honestly at first I wondered how we would live)  I thought all I had to do was convert my favorite recipes by simply exchanging wheat flour for rice flour, boy was I wrong!!  You cannot simply take your favorite bread recipe and exchange gluten free flour for regular white flour.  Gluten is exactly what is "sounds" like...GLUE.  Without it bread turns out like crackers.  With the price of gluten free mixes, its not cheap to make mistakes and toss it in the garbage.

So I turned to the internet for gluten free recipes.  That wasn't much better, considering some people like to publish without TASTING!!   Oh, I better insert here that we are not just gluten free, we are also dairy, soy, and sugar free!!  Which adds more failure to our list!!

I couldn't just give up, after all I have to feed my family.  Not just "feed" them bland food, but offer food that is beautiful to look at and taste equally delicious.  Foods that we miss like pizza, cookies, cake, etc..

Solved!!  I am going to share with you the flour combination that will produce perfect, delicious breads. 

  • 6 cups rice flour (white is good, brown is healthier)
  • 3 cups tapioca flour
  • 1 1/2 cups potato starch
  • 1 tbl salt
  • 2 tbl xanthum gum
Whisk all ingredients together, transfer to an airtight storage container.  This is my alternative "All Purpose Flour" and is used anytime I upload a recipe that calls for Chars flour mix.


NOTE:  I  know some of you cant have Tapioca and Potato flour/starch so here is an alternative mixture.  BTW, if I know YOU  are coming over I will replace the above combination with the below combo instead :)

  • 2 cups arrowroot powder
  • 1 cup millet flour
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup corn starch
  • 4 tsp xanthan gum
ENJOY!!




No comments:

Post a Comment